Glide is looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to help evolve our data sources strategy, become more efficient with our infrastructure utilization as we scale, and achieve a high level of operational excellence for availability, security, and performance.
The ideal candidate has experience integrating many high-scale data sources using fault-tolerant architecture patterns. They are comfortable evolving legacy services already in production by using progressive rollout techniques. And they leverage observability and appropriate testing to build confidence in a service.
We’re building a simpler, faster way for anyone to build custom software for their business, without any technical or design skills. Tens of thousands of non-technical people use Glide to build apps to power their businesses, organizations, personal projects, and more. As customers create apps to visualize, interact with, take action on, and analyze their growing data sets, we must keep this big picture in mind as we improve various levels of our engineering stack.
Life as a Glide Engineer
We are a distributed remote team, which means we work asynchronously most of the time. A typical week would include:
- Joining a Pod Sync, where you’ll work with your Pod Lead and fellow engineers to prioritize and distribute work
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering and product problems with collaborators in Slack or Zoom
- Attend an Incident Postmortem to debrief on any recent incidents and distribute postmortem action items
- Opening several Pull Requests to implement the next most important feature or fix the most critical bug
- Workflowing customer feedback by working with Support to reproduce and write up reported bugs
- Reviewing your teammates’ Pull Requests and providing helpful feedback
- Deploying the Glide monolith and monitoring deployment confidence dashboards
- Attending a Glide Sync, our company-wide meeting where we hear from customers, share demos, and discuss company progress
- Working with your engineering manager in a 1:1 to grow your career with your team
As an individual contributor in a deeply technical area, we expect you to write and review code, spin up cloud infrastructure, and proactively make risk-adjusted architectural decisions to solve clear problems.
- Facilitate the standardization of Glide’s data sync and persistence infrastructure
- Drive integrations with data source platforms to be able to provide customers with new data sources at an accelerated pace
- Design, develop, and maintain a REST API into Glide’s data and core services
- Provide build, test, and runtime infrastructure to service teams
- Ensure patterns are established for database throttling and request rate limiting to protect Glide’s uptime
- Monitor infrastructure costs and coordinate improvements when necessary
- Drive SRE tooling and best practices around observability and alerting
- Scope out and implement technical solutions that can be used by multiple Glide services
- Become intimately familiar with the systems you build and take pride in writing maintainable code
- Write, review, and maintain code primarily in TypeScript
- Write architecture briefs and proposals, carry out code experiments, and build prototypes to learn how we can achieve reliable scale with our systems
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code review to encourage the growth of others
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Proficiency in TypeScript development
- 3+ years experience building and maintaining highly available and scalable distributed systems
- Strong SQL skills; can speak to covering index optimization strategies
- Experience designing, building and running data-intensive event-driven architectures
- You are a clear and effective communicator, be it when you write code, write emails, or explain complex technical issues to non-technical co-workers
- Passionate and self-motivated, with a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and evolving environment
- Experience with data source platforms like Supabase, Airtable, Firestore, Sequin, Paragon, Windmill, Neon, Supaglue
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform services like Cloud SQL, Cloud Run, AlloyDB, or equivalent
- Scaled an event-driven architecture using Apache Kafka, Cloud Pub/Sub, or other eventing system
- Have given conference talks around the OpenAPI spec, REST, or GraphQL API patterns
- Familiarity with telemetry and monitoring solutions like Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana, Splunk, Google Cloud Logging
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a supportive and dynamic remote work environment, and opportunities for career growth. If you are a self-starter with a passion for scaling platform services and the teams that support them, we want to hear from you!
Glide is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds to apply.