Glide is looking for a Senior Automation Engineer to help our engineering team deliver higher quality updates to our customers more frequently. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of CI/CD workflows, DORA metrics, SRE best practices, and has previously applied this knowledge to enable remote engineering teams to efficiently build, deploy, monitor and collaborate on a distributed system of notable scale.
We’re building a simpler, faster way for anyone to build custom software for their business, without any technical or design skills. Tens of thousands of non-technical people use Glide to build apps to power their businesses, organizations, personal projects, and more. As customers create apps to visualize, interact with, take action on, and analyze their growing data sets, we must keep this big picture in mind as we improve various levels of our engineering stack.
In this role, you will join our Operational Excellence pod in order to build answers to the following questions:
- How do we design a developer experience that ensures a release can be promoted between environments in ≤ 5 minutes?
- How can engineers validate their pull requests in a pre-production preview environment?
- How can we set up an environment where we can test infrastructure-specific changes?
- How can we achieve a fully automated build & deploy pipeline?
- How do we speed up our build times?
- How can we ensure our code and system telemetry is easily adopted by our developers?
- How do we responsibly control cloud environment costs while leveraging Google Cloud Platform to scale?
- Coordinate with engineers and engineering leads to define, prioritize, and task projects that help us meet business objectives around deployments, testing infrastructure, telemetry & observability, logging, and feature flagging
- Develop and maintain continuous improvement solutions via automation scripts, chatops programs, and CI/CD pipelines using a variety of tools and technologies
- Write, review and maintain infrastructure as code
- Durably own the code you write and services you build, joining our on call and support engineering rotations to troubleshoot and debug issues as they arise
- Stay up-to-date with industry developments and emerging technologies, writing proposals and building prototypes to evaluate alternative approaches that could make the engineering team more effective or efficient
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- 5+ years as a software engineer working on distributed systems
- 5+ years of Linux OS systems and scripting experience
- 3+ years of automation experience with Pulumi (preferred), Terraform, Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- 3+ years with GCP, Azure, or AWS cloud platforms and containerized application tooling such as Kubernetes
- 1+ years with GitHub Actions
- Proven technical expertise with monitoring solutions like Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana, Splunk, Google Cloud Logging
- You are a clear and effective communicator, be it when you write code, write emails, or explain complex technical issues to non-technical co-workers
- Passionate and self-motivated, with a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and evolving environment