Glide is looking for a Principal Full Stack Software Engineer to act as a lead problem solver on our most difficult engineering challenges. The ideal candidate will be as comfortable deep diving with backend platform engineers into database index optimizations as they are collaborating with a designer to optimize a user-facing workflow on the frontend.
We’re building a simpler, faster way for anyone to build custom software for their business, without any technical or design skills. Tens of thousands of non-technical people use Glide to build apps to power their businesses, organizations, personal projects, and more. As customers create apps to visualize, interact with, take action on, and analyze their growing data sets, we must keep this big picture in mind as we improve various levels of our engineering stack.
In this role, you will positively impact the business in at least the following three ways:
- You will design, prototype, implement, ship and support highly performant and inspiring user experiences, building in a way that favors code reusability.
- You will deeply understand our architecture, and work to unlock new classes of platform capabilities for customers by shaping and then leading execution on strategic technical initiatives.
- You will model software engineering best practices to each team that you come in contact with, transferring your skills and experience to uplevel the team along the way through documentation, demos, technical writeups, pairing, and mentorship.
- Write architecture briefs and proposals, carry out code experiments, and build prototypes to learn what’s needed to satisfy the performance and reliability requirements of our systems
- Coordinate with engineering and product leads to define, prioritize, and task projects that help us meet business objectives
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Learn about other technology stacks and disciplines. Research prior art and connect with engineers at other companies to understand proven or alternative approaches that could be applied to our products.
- Durably own the code you write and services you build, joining our on call and support engineering rotations.
- 10+ years as a software engineer (with much of that experience at high-growth, product-led startup)
- 5+ years experience operating high-scale databases, SQL query and index planning, database and cluster topology optimization
- Experience with building top-notch, design-driven user interfaces
- Experience with data engineering pipelines (e.g. Kafka, streaming data, event-driven architectures)
- You are a clear and effective communicator, be it when you write code, write emails, or explain complex technical issues to non-technical co-workers.
- Passionate and self-motivated, with a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and evolving environment